How to Write Professional and Unique Product Descriptions for Your Ecommerce Website
When it comes to managing an ecommerce website, it takes best of efforts and right strategies to keep it running up. It needs to be ensured that it is incorporated with latest features so that it can compete with other ecommerce player. Product description plays a very crucial role in the performance and success of an online business. Visitors come to websites looking for the information that should help them in deciding whether a particular product is right for them or not. An ecommerce website can experience a great improvement in traffic volume, conversion rate, and sales rate by simply providing professional product descriptions for all products that it offers.
However, more often than not, it is observed that manufacturer descriptions are full of technical terminology and self promotion. Remember, visitors are interested in knowing whether you offer what they are looking for. It is best to use layman’s language and provide a user friendly description of your products. If you provide such a amazing product description, you are likely to draw the attention of more and more visitors.
Discussed below are some of the best ways to write a unique and professional description for your products.
1. Describe the basic features in detail. This is what people come looking for
You must describe the basic features of products in a precise manner. It is simple to do this. Many products have such features that give buyers an idea about how the product stacks up against others. It also helps customers to analyze whether they are looking at the right product or not. You should refrain from using too much of technical jargon unless the audience is going to understand what you are talking about. However, at the same time, you should avoid being too general as it can make your audience feel insulted. Your description should be commensurate with the product type as well as the type of audience you will cater to.
2. Explain what you like about the product.
Now when you are selling products online, you should be able to tell a customer what you personally like about a particular product that the customer is interested in. In fact, you will most probably have a better ability to compare a product with other similar products than a normal shopper. And customers do pay heed to your opinion on what you sell. One thing that you should keep in mind is to give an honest opinion of your product. Do not brag about your products. And you will seriously have your integrity questioned if you make use of strong marketing words. If a product has some major concern, you should outline it. You can explain why it is still a great product. It is all about maintaining a good balance between pros and cons while describing a product.
3. Explain why your products are better than others
There is always a reason for why a customer should prefer product X in place of product Y. This is exactly where you can outline the benefits of one product as compared to others. For this, you can make use of statistics, links to research, or just an opinion. However, you should remember that factual information is far better and effective for outlining benefits of a product. However, like mentioned earlier, be wary of using heavy technical terms unless you cater to customers who understand them.
4. Tell your visitors how they can benefit from your products
Product description is a wonderful opportunity for a business to tell customers how they can benefit from its products. This in turn helps a business to generate more sales and ROI. You should tell your customers in a clear and precise manner what a product is going to do for them. Why this product will be beneficial for them. This is fundamental marketing and you must tell your customers why they should spend their money on your products. However, refrain from providing incorrect details at all cost.
5. Provide appropriate alternatives for a product
Last but not the least, you must provide appropriate alternatives for a product. Do not think that it is up-selling. This is rather a way of offering suitable alternatives based on price, or features, or design. You can always tell your customers that if a particular product is expensive, there are other similar but less featured product which are cheaper. Tell them about all other options that they have.
These are some of the effective strategies that help you writing perfect product descriptions for your online products. However, there are certain things that you should keep in mind and follow is to ensure that your product descriptions are perfect. Let us have a look at these crucial points.
1. First of all, always use ‘We’ and not ‘I’ in your product descriptions. Using ‘I’ is not an appropriate and a suitable way of defining yourself and your business to the customers. It tends to give an untrustworthy and bad image to your business.
2. Refrain from filling in your basic product page with too much of information. You should keep the page uncluttered, clean and well organized. You should also make sure that the ‘add to cart’ button is right there at the top of the page. Always provide links to technical specs, and detailed descriptions either on separate pages, or lower down the same page.
3. You must avoid spelling and grammatical errors at all cost. Make sure that your product descriptions have none of these errors. Always check and re-check. There can be nothing more unprofessional than having typos and grammatical errors in your content. It gives a bad impression about your business.
4. Never lie. If you can not follow any of the above mentioned strategies honestly, then it is better to skip it. A lie will take you nowhere.
5. Know more about your customers. This is because the better you know your customers, the better you can use such ideas that will appeal to your customers.
6. Keep testing the changes you make. This is the only way to know whether the product descriptions you prepared have made any difference or not. A split A-B test is the best way to measure results over time. However, you can also carry out any sort of comparative testing.
Once you are done with the product descriptions, you need to pay more attention to some other important things like additional options such as technical specs, detailed descriptions, additional features, upgrades etc. Some people will be looking for the details, but most people do not really need them. Follow the above mentioned strategies properly to ensure that you come up with great product descriptions. With a unique and professional description you will give your ecommerce website a far better look and feel. After all, it is a fiercely competitive world out there. Your website will be competing with many others to attain top search engine rankings and do well in terms of sales and ROI. Hence, when it comes to ecommerce business, one should leave no stone unturned to give a website an additional edge.
This post is written by Justin Spencer, Marketing Professional at MarkupBox.com, a specialized PSD to HTML Conversion Company, backed with years of experience and diligent professionals. We also offer software implementation service like PSD to Magento , PSD to WordPress, PSD to Joomla and PSD to Drupal and much more